In this article, we will look at adjectives that start with A and how they can be used to broaden and deepen our understanding. We’ve created a list of adjectives that start with A, complete with definitions, synonyms, and examples.
Adjectives that start with A are plentiful and regularly used in daily speech. We wish to expand and effectively convey the meaning and feelings of our words to the listeners or readers when we speak or write in any language.
Adjectives add a lot of information to the essentials of what we’re saying to others. There are approximately 1000 plus adjectives in English that begin with the letter A.
This article will assist you to discover new descriptive words that start with A by providing a list of positive and negative adjectives, definitions, and sample sentences. The goal of this article is to enhance your vocabulary and learn new descriptive terms.
Can you think of any adjectives beginning with A? Let’s have a look at our list of amazing adjectives beginning with A.
Common Adjectives That Start with A in Everyday Speech
Here are some common adjectives that start with A that you may use to make your speech or writing more distinct and engaging. In your daily life, try utilizing these common adjectives starting with A to help you convey your argument more effectively.
- Definition: exceptionally beautiful
- Synonyms: innocent, pure, virtuous
- Example: She looks very much young and angelic.
- Definition: very bad or unpleasant
- Synonyms: disgusting, nasty, terrible
- Example: This place smelled awful.
- Definition: extremely impressive
- Synonyms: breathtaking, amazing, stunning
- Example: Atomic bomb has awesome power.
- Definition: extremely surprising or impressive
- Synonyms: amazing, astounding, bewildering
- Example: This is an astonishing achievement.
- Definition: embarrassed or guilty
- Synonyms: sorry, shamefaced, abashed
- Example: She should be ashamed for this act.
- Definition: unpleasantly proud
- Synonyms: haughty, conceited, hubristic
- Example: She is arrogant and opinionated.
- Definition: causing irritation or annoyance
- Synonyms: irritating, infuriating, exasperating
- Example: He has some annoying habits.
- Definition: having knowledge or experience of a particular thing
- Synonyms: cognizant, conscious, familiar
- Example: He is aware of the dangers of sunbathing.
- Definition: causing laughter and providing entertainment
- Synonyms: entertaining, funny, comical
- Example: He is an amusing boy.
- Definition: having or showing a strong determination to succeed
- Synonyms: aspiring, determined, forceful
- Example: She is a ruthlessly ambitious workaholic.
Positive Adjectives That Start with A
Here you will find some positive adjectives that start with A that will expand your vocabulary and make it more interesting and sophisticated. Use these adjectives to amaze and delight your family and friends.
- Definition: lasting a long time
- Synonyms: enduring, lasting, persisting
- Example: She had an abiding respect for his mother.
- Definition: very plentiful; abundant
- Synonyms: abundant, plentiful
- Example: I am impressed by her abounding creative talent.
- Definition: great or to the largest degree possible
- Synonyms: great, complete, total
- Example: He is a man of absolute integrity.
- Definition: existing in large quantities
- Synonyms: plentiful, copious, ample
- Example: They had abundant evidence to support their point.
- Definition: relating to education
- Synonyms: educational, scholastic, instructional
- Example: You should see her academic achievements.
- Definition: moderately good
- Synonyms: satisfactory, adequate, reasonable
- Example: His performance was acceptable.
- Definition: able to understand a situation quickly
- Synonyms: shrewd, sharp, sharp-witted
- Example: He is an astute businessman.
- Definition: publicly praised
- Synonyms: renowned, cheered, extolled
- Example: She is an acclaimed writer.
- Definition: willing to give what is needed to someone
- Synonyms: obliging, cooperative, helpful
- Example: We always experienced our local branch to be quite accommodating.
- Definition: correct in all details
- Synonyms: correct, precise, exact
- Example: You should provide them with accurate information.
Negative Adjectives That Start with A
Are you seeking for negative adjectives that start with A? You’ve come to the right spot. Here are the most interesting, unique, and powerful adjectives having negative implications.
- Definition: departing from an accepted standard
- Synonyms: deviant, deviating, divergent
- Example: Her aberrant behavior requires an explanation.
- Definition: inspiring disgust and loathing
- Synonyms: detestable, detested, hateful
- Example: Racism is abhorrent to us all.
- Definition: filled with anger or strong emotion
- Synonyms: afire, aflame, alight
- Example: Her eyes were ablaze with emotion.
- Definition: different from what is usual
- Synonyms: unusual, uncommon, atypical
- Example: I don’t like her abnormal behavior.
- Definition: extremely offensive
- Synonyms: insulting, rude, vulgar
- Example: He has very abusive behavior.
- Definition: extremely bad
- Synonyms: very bad, dreadful, awful
- Example: Her standard of work is abysmal.
- Definition: filled with horror or shock
- Synonyms: horrified, appalled, astounded
- Example: He winced, aghast at her cruelty.
- Definition: suffering, or characterized by great pain
- Synonyms: aching, aggrieved, battered
- Example: He gave an agonized cry.
- Definition: without purpose or direction
- Synonyms: purposeless, pointless, goalless
- Example: He is an aimless existence.
- Definition: not friendly or forthcoming
- Synonyms: distant, detached, unresponsive
- Example: She seemed aloof.
Adjectives That Start with A to Describe a Person
This section covers adjectives that start with A to describe someone. These are very useful if you want to describe people’s unique qualities. Try to incorporate these A adjectives to describe a person in your daily life.
- Definition: not paying attention
- Synonyms: distracted, preoccupied, inattentive
- Example: He looked up with an absent smile.
- Definition: required or expected to justify decisions; responsible
- Synonyms: responsible, liable, answerable
- Example: He is accountable to the Public.
- Definition: very skilled
- Synonyms: expert, proficient, accomplished
- Example: He is a very adept person.
- Definition: clever or skillful
- Synonyms: skillful, adept, dexterous
- Example: She was adroit at tax avoidance.
- Definition: physically strong
- Synonyms: muscular, muscly, sturdy
- Example: He is very athletic.
- Definition: never looking old
- Synonyms: timeless, dateless, eternal
- Example: She is an ageless beauty.
- Definition: in poor health
- Synonyms: ill, not well, sick
- Example: She wants to see her ailing mother.
- Definition: belonging to a foreign country
- Synonyms: foreign, overseas, non-native
- Example: She has an alien culture.
- Definition: having no one else present
- Synonyms: solo, lone, solitary
- Example: He was alone that evening.
- Definition: lean and having a prominent bone structure
- Synonyms: bony, raw-boned, lean
- Example: I love her angular face.
Adjectives That Start with A to Describe a Place
How many different locations have you ever explored? How will you explain these locations to the people you hang out with? Examine the following list of describing words beginning with A.
- Definition: having been in existence for a very long time
- Synonyms: old, very old, age-old
- Example: These are ancient forests.
- Definition: belonging to, or inherited from an ancestor
- Synonyms: inherited, hereditary, familial
- Example: It’s our family’s ancestral home.
- Definition: glowing
- Synonyms: glowing, luminous, radiant
- Example: The entire area was aglow by lights.
- Definition: able to be reached or entered
- Synonyms: reachable, attainable, approachable
- Example: Her office is accessible by bus.
- Definition: very pleasing in appearance or sound
- Synonyms: beautiful, gorgeous, pretty
- Example: Her house is very attractive.
- Definition: brisk or lively
- Synonyms: brisk, lively, cheerful
- Example: It was an alacritous park with laughing kids and loving couples.
- Definition: growing or living in or near water
- Synonyms: water, sea, marine
- Example: We have aquatic plants in our home.
- Definition: made by people, often as a copy of something natural
- Synonyms: fake, imitation, false
- Example: Central park also has an artificial zoo.
- Definition: extremely unpleasant and degrading
- Synonyms: wretched, miserable, hopeless
- Example: Her house is in abject condition.
- Definition: having little or no rain
- Synonyms: dry, parched, desiccated
- Example: It’s terribly arid here.
Adjectives That Start with A to Describe Emotions
Here you’ll find adjectives that start with the letter A. We, humans, experience a wide range of moods and emotions. You don’t seem to be able to define them adequately, do you? Then the following adjective words that start with A will most certainly be of assistance.
- Definition: feeling fear or anxiety
- Synonyms: frightened, scared, terrified
- Example: She is afraid of dogs.
- Definition: quivering; trembling
- Synonyms: trembly, tremulous, wobbly
- Example: His face was aquiver with pleasure.
- Definition: slightly angry; irritated
- Synonyms: irritated, steamed, angered
- Example: He was annoyed with me.
- Definition: expressing or showing regretful acknowledgement of failure
- Synonyms: regretful, sorry, contrite
- Example: I am very apologetic about the incident.
- Definition: excite or provoke to strong emotions
- Synonyms: stir up, rouse, excite
- Example: She made him aroused.
- Definition: engaging in physically energetic pursuits
- Synonyms: agile, mobile, dynamic
- Example: He enjoyed an active social life.
- Definition: feeling or showing gratitude or pleasure
- Synonyms: supportive, grateful, encouraging
- Example: I am very appreciative of all the support.
- Definition: having ambitions to achieve something
- Synonyms: hopeful, expectant, striver
- Example: He is an aspirant boy.
- Definition: readily feeling or showing fondness
- Synonyms: loving, fond, adoring
- Example: He is a person of affectionate nature.
- Definition: feeling or showing strong annoyance
- Synonyms: irate, annoyed, cross
- Example: He is an angry customer.
Descriptive Adjectives That Start with A
Here you’ll discover descriptive words beginning with A, as well as meanings and examples of how to use them. Try using these A adjectives to describe someone simply and concisely. Reading these adjectives will aid in the expansion of your vocabulary.
- Definition: having considerable skill, or intelligence
- Synonyms: intelligent, clever, brilliant
- Example: The dancers at the party were technically very able.
- Definition: stupid and unreasonable
- Synonyms: idiotic, stupid, foolish
- Example: You look absurd in this hat.
- Definition: becoming addicted to something
- Synonyms: obsessive, enslaving, hooking
- Example: She has an addictive personality.
- Definition: next to or adjoining
- Synonyms: adjoining, next door to, abutting
- Example: We work in adjacent buildings.
- Definition: able to be adjusted
- Synonyms: adaptable, convertible, variable
- Example: John’s car has fully adjustable seats.
- Definition: fully grown or developed
- Synonyms: mature, fully grown, full-grown
- Example: She is an adult woman.
- Definition: having a high level of knowledge or skill
- Synonyms: higher-level, higher, tertiary
- Example: His research is of advanced level.
- Definition: causing pain or suffering
- Synonyms: aching, achy, agonizing
- Example: She was under assault by afflictive emotions and anger.
- Definition: inexpensive; reasonably priced
- Synonyms: cheap, economical, fair
- Example: Our home is very affordable.
- Definition: very old
- Synonyms: elderly, old, mature
- Example: He is an aged man with white hair.
Uncommon Adjectives That Start with A to Improve Your Vocabulary
This list contains uncommon adjectives that begin with A. How many of these uncommon adjective terms beginning with B do you use in everyday speech and writing?
- Definition: self-evident or unquestionable
- Synonyms: self-evident, unquestionable, undeniable
- Example: It is axiomatic that dividends must be paid.
- Definition: not clear or decided
- Synonyms: equivocal, ambivalent, open to debate
- Example: Sadly the result was ambiguous.
- Definition: having a pleasant smell
- Synonyms: fragrant, scented, sweet-scented
- Example: She had a massage with aromatic oils.
- Definition: shortened; cut short
- Synonyms: shortened, reduced, cut
- Example: That was an abbreviated version of the previous work.
- Definition: showing or feeling no interest
- Synonyms: uninterested, indifferent, unconcerned
- Example: He is an apathetic electorate.
- Definition: characterized by friendliness
- Synonyms: friendly, good-natured, cordial
- Example: We had an amicable settlement of the dispute.
- Definition: conducive to success
- Synonyms: favorable, propitious, promising
- Example: It’s not the most auspicious moment to hold a press conference.
- Definition: able to use the right and left hands equally
- Synonyms: deceitful, disingenuous, double-dealing
- Example: She is naturally ambidextrous.
- Definition: able to stick fast
- Synonyms: sticky, sticking, adhering
- Example: It’s an adhesive label.
- Definition: severe in manner or attitude
- Synonyms: severe, stern, strict
- Example: She was an austere lady.
Adjectives That Start with A – Full List (535 Words)
This article discussed adjectives that start with the letter A. Below you will find a complete list of adjectives that start with A. This is the most extensive list of adjectives on the internet that begin with the letter A.
Final Thoughts on Adjectives That Start with A
This article has provided a list of adjectives that start with A and are commonly used in everyday speech. It also provides definitions of synonyms, definitions, and examples of every descriptive words that start with A. This will allow you to employ the words in a variety of settings and thus expand your vocabulary.
It can be very frustrating when we are not using the correct term. This is the case for the natives and those who are not native English users. In this case, specific adjectives may be needed. We’ve compiled most frequently used adjectives that start with A.
We hope that you find the answer you were looking for. We thank you for taking the time to read our article about adjectives starting with A. It’s obvious how essential adjectives are in our daily conversations.