If you are in search of verbs that start with A, we are here for you with this collection. Verbs are an indispensable part of any sentence. If it weren’t for verbs, we wouldn’t be able to express actions through words.
In the English language, we have plenty of verbs that start with A since the letter A is a commonly used one. We have carefully curated some of the best verbs that start with A that you can use to adorn your language.
Want to know the best part? These verbs beginning with A have been divided into a bunch of categories to assist you with easy navigation.
You can bring them to use in many different ways, and to clarify their usage we have used them in practical examples below.
Enough has been said. Let’s get the action started by exploring action words that start with A. Brace yourselves for a fun-filled ride as you will acquire new knowledge that can be used in so many ways.
You Might Also Like:
Common Verbs That Start with A
Let’s begin this list with the most commonly used verbs starting with A. These verbs can be witnessed in language on almost a daily basis. If you grab a good grip on them, your daily interactions in English will become perfect.
- Definition: to regard someone with respect
- Synonyms: congratulate, praise
- Example: I really admire the hard work you have done for us.
- Definition: to become successful in completing a task
- Synonyms: attain, grasp
- Example: I will hopefully achieve all of my goals.
- Definition: to make a serious request
- Synonyms: request, plead
- Example: We have appealed for funds so that we can work for the betterment of flood effected people.
- Definition: to try to harm someone
- Synonyms: raid, ambush
- Example: A lion attacked her in the jungle.
- Definition: to wake up from sleep
- Synonyms: wake, rouse
- Example: She awoke to give me my medicines.
- Definition: have enough money to pay for
- Synonyms: manage, have enough money
- Example: I can afford a lot of luxuries now.
- Definition: to connect things
- Synonyms: connect, fix
- Example: Please attach your documents with this admission form.
- Definition: to reach somewhere
- Synonyms: reach, approach
- Example: My grandfather arrived from Turkey a couple of days back.
- Definition: to put forward your question
- Synonyms: request, interrogate
- Example: I was asked by the teacher to speak before the class.
- Definition: to help
- Synonyms: support, aid
- Example: He assisted me in every way possible.
Positive Verbs That Start with A
Language carries connotations in it. Just like negativity is reflected through specific words, some words also carry a positive effect. This category is concerned with exactly that type of vocabulary, let’s check out some positive verbs starting with letter A.
- Definition: to have the same opinion
- Synonyms: accord, grant
- Example: I agreed with everything she said.
- Definition: to give permission
- Synonyms: let, approve
- Example: Finally, my parents allowed me to participate in that match.
- Definition: to value something
- Synonyms: respect, regard
- Example: I appreciate him for all he has done for me.
- Definition: to promise, or tell something to someone confidently or firmly
- Synonyms: convince, gratify
- Example: She assured me she would take care of my kids when I was away.
- Definition: to give someone a good advice
- Synonyms: counsel, direct
- Example: She advised me to take things slow.
- Definition: be harmonious or consistent with
- Synonyms: grant, harmonize
- Example: The teacher must accord with all her students equally.
- Definition: to get yourself familiar with something
- Synonyms: familiarize, edify
- Example: I am still acquainting myself with my new students.
- Definition: accept or act in accordance with
- Synonyms: follow, observe
- Example: I totally abide by their decision.
- Definition: declare (someone) free from guilt
- Synonyms: acquit, discharge
- Example: I requested the priest to absolve me of all of my sins.
- Definition: to appreciate someone
- Synonyms: cheer, clap
- Example: The audience applauded my performance.
Action Verbs That Start with A
Verbs are the unit of a sentence that denotes an action. If it weren’t for this part of speech, any work or movement wouldn’t be communicated through language. Here are 10 action verbs that start with A.
- Definition: to react in a certain way
- Synonyms: behave, perform
- Example: My husband acts like a sober person whenever I am around.
- Definition: to stop something in the middle
- Synonyms: dismiss, end
- Example: We aborted our rescue mission due to bad weather.
- Definition: inflict harm on someone
- Synonyms: castigate, vindicate
- Example: He avenged his mother’s murder.
- Definition: to befriend someone for mutual benefit
- Synonyms: link, partner
- Example: I have allied myself with good people.
- Definition: to try something out
- Synonyms: try, aim
- Example: He attempted to pass the ball to me so that I can score the goal.
- Definition: to change something
- Synonyms: alter, control
- Example: I have finally adjusted myself in the new hostel.
- Definition: to hit someone physically
- Synonyms: foray, beat
- Example: The thieves assaulted a police officer.
- Definition: to give company to someone
- Synonyms: escort, attend
- Example: I was accompanied by friends to the trip.
- Definition: be responsible for the running of a business
- Synonyms: run, direct
- Example: The current government is doing a poor job in administering the economy.
- Definition: to be affected by a problem
- Synonyms: upset, bother
- Example: Harassment has afflicted women more than men according to a recent survey.
Regular Verbs That Start with A
In the English language there are regular verbs and irregular verbs. However, regular verbs are more common. Regular verbs are easy to spell and understand. Let’s look at these regular verbs beginning with A.
- Definition: confess something
- Synonyms: recognize, confess
- Example: She openly admitted her mistakes.
- Definition: to come close to something
- Synonyms: go after, close in on
- Example: He approached me for help the other day.
- Definition: to blame someone
- Synonyms: blame, prosecute
- Example: He accused me of cheating on him.
- Definition: to take a break
- Synonyms: suspend, defer
- Example: The judge adjourned the meeting till Wednesday.
- Definition: to be entertained by someone
- Synonyms: delight, satisfy
- Example: I was amused by their comedy show.
- Definition: keep away from anything
- Synonyms: dodge, evade
- Example: He successfully avoided his ex at the university.
- Definition: to insult someone
- Synonyms: misuse, misemploy
- Example: He abused his friends a lot.
- Definition: to increase the speed of an automobile
- Synonyms: hasten, hurry
- Example: He accelerated his car to a dangerous level.
- Definition: go up or climb
- Synonyms: mount, scale
- Example: The mountaineers ascended the peak easily.
- Definition: make a reality of
- Synonyms: commence, achieve
- Example: The profit from your business will take time to be actualized.
Verbs That Start with A for Top-Notch Essays
Some verbs can be a little tricky to understand but if you get to know them, they benefit you in your essay writing to a great extent. We are here to help you glide smoothly through this road. Check these verbs that start with A for top-notch essays.
- Definition: to give attention to a situation
- Synonyms: solve, fix
- Example: You must address these issues with an open mind.
- Definition: regard as probable
- Synonyms: expect, predict
- Example: Mike eagerly anticipated the arrival of his supervisor.
- Definition: state emphatically or publicly
- Synonyms: announce, assert
- Example: She affirmed her intention to quit her corporate job.
- Definition: to provide someone with space
- Synonyms: lodge, house
- Example: We are building new classrooms so that we can accommodate more students.
- Definition: to come into existence
- Synonyms: appear, occur
- Example: Lots of new problems have arisen in his new venture.
- Definition: to agree to the terms of other people
- Synonyms: accept, approve
- Example: The senior command did not accede to these requests.
- Definition: place things in a straight line
- Synonyms: line up, bring into line
- Example: He aligned the two holes so he could put the screw through them.
- Definition: to make someone aware of something
- Synonyms: update, notify
- Example: He is yet to apprise his mother of his asthma situation.
- Definition: make a public announcement
- Synonyms: affirm, state
- Example: They announced their engagement on Twitter yesterday.
- Definition: to announce something
- Synonyms: announce, maintain
- Example: He asserted that there were spies in the government.
Phrasal Verbs That Start with A
Phrasal verbs are very interesting because they have the power to oomph up any piece of writing that is dull and drab. We have compiled some phrasal verbs that start with A for you.
1. Adhere to
- Definition: act in accordance with
- Synonyms: support, follow
- Example: All contestants must adhere to the rules.
2. Ache for
- Definition: want someone or something very much
- Synonyms: long, pain
- Example: My friend was so secluded he ached for the sound of a human voice.
3. Allude to
- Definition: mention or make reference to something in an indirect way
- Synonyms: mention, refer
- Example: I don’t understand. What problem is she alluding to?
4. Account for
- Definition: give a reason or an explanation
- Synonyms: explain, elucidate
- Example: I asked him if he could account for all the money he spent!
5. Amount to
- Definition: be equivalent to
- Synonyms: be tantamount to
- Example: The total repair work will amount to $1200.
6. Answer for
- Definition: be held responsible for something
- Synonyms: hold accountable, respond
- Example: Normally parents have to answer for their children’s behavior.
7. Attest to
- Definition: prove to be true; bear witness to
- Synonyms: demonstrate, prove
- Example: The number of visitors attest to the popularity of the website.
8. Arrive at
- Definition: reach an agreement, a decision, a conclusion
- Synonyms: reach, attain
- Example: It is hoped that they will arrive at an agreement at the end of the meeting.
9. Ask after
- Definition: enquire about someone’s well-being
- Synonyms: query, probe
- Example: My mother worries about you and she’s always asking after you.
10. Appeal to
- Definition: plead or make an earnest request
- Synonyms: beg, plead
- Example: The organizers appealed to the crowd to stay calm.
Transitive Verbs That Start with A
Verbs can be transitive or intransitive based on the requirement that they can take up an object or not. Transitive verbs are found quite commonly in the English language. Check out some transitive verbs that start with A.
- Definition: to point directly at something
- Synonyms: emphasize, sight
- Example: He aimed his gaze directly at the prey.
- Definition: to put things to a mixture
- Synonyms: mix
- Example: Please add two spoons of sugar to my tea.
- Definition: approach or enter
- Synonyms: gain, obtain
- Example: I couldn’t access the internet yesterday.
- Definition: to make something active
- Synonyms: kindle, start
- Example: Please activate my bank account as soon as possible.
- Definition: to hoard things
- Synonyms: ruck, assemble
- Example: They have accumulated a lot of wealth in such short time.
- Definition: to receive something
- Synonyms: gain, attain
- Example: The team acquired three new players this year.
- Definition: to legally become a guardian of a child
- Synonyms: accept, acquire
- Example: I have adopted my late sister’s baby girl.
- Definition: to reduce the pain
- Synonyms: ease, relieve
- Example: The drugs were very helpful to alleviate his pain.
- Definition: make minor changes to the words of a legal document or any text
- Synonyms: alter, change
- Example: They voted to amend the law in 1920.
- Definition: formally put an end to (a system)
- Synonyms: exterminate, stop
- Example: Many people fought to abolish slavery during the Civil War.
Powerful Verbs That Start with A for Impressive Resume
The resume has to be the first and foremost step towards securing a good job. A resume should be well structured and clear and that is achieved by using a good vocabulary. We have a list of A verbs that can beautify your resume.
- Definition: make a formal application
- Synonyms: petition, ask
- Example: I’ve applied for 2 different jobs.
- Definition: to form a close relationship with someone
- Synonyms: adjoin, work together
- Example: All youth groups will have to affiliate to the National Youth Agency.
- Definition: to make public aware of the products you want to sell
- Synonyms: publicize
- Example: She advertised her company in the newspaper.
- Definition: to be present at an event
- Synonyms: be present, join
- Example: He has attended several seminars on this issue.
- Definition: become adjusted to new conditions
- Synonyms: adjust, change
- Example: He needed to adapt his strategies while dealing with that problem.
- Definition: to think positively
- Synonyms: sanctify, ratify
- Example: The Vice Chancellor has approved my project.
- Definition: assign a role to someone
- Synonyms: recommend, commission
- Example: I have appointed a new manager to help me out with the business.
- Definition: to admit the reality of something
- Synonyms: grant, admit
- Example: His efforts are being acknowledged worldwide now.
- Definition: to openly support an idea
- Synonyms: indorse, favor
- Example: Many people advocate building more gymnasiums.
- Definition: to inspect something carefully
- Synonyms: examine, review
- Example: He can analyze these types of situations far better than others.
Verbs That Start with A – Full List (232 Words)
Here is a complete list of verbs that start with the letter A. We recommend you to scroll through them to make sure that you do not miss out on anything. This list is quite beneficial for quizzing yourself too.
- Adhere to
- Ache for
- Allude to
- Account for
- Amount to
- Answer for
- Attest to
- Arrive at
- Ask after
- Appeal to
Final Thoughts on Verbs That Start with A
This brings us to the end of this article that we designed for you. You got to know some interesting verbs that start with A in this article.
Some might have been easy while some a little challenging but we assure you that constant practice will make you perfect at using these verbs that start with A.
Verbs are essential for the language because without them any work or action cannot be reported through language.
Understanding the usage of action words that start with A will enable you to cover a huge chunk of verbs in the English language as A is a commonly used letter.
We hope that you were able to learn many verb words that start with A by reading this compilation. If you wish to acquire more knowledge on this subject, we have informative articles to offer on our website so make sure to visit them.