Here we are at your service with an extensive list of verbs that start with P. This article is going to be a really productive experience for you because not only will you learn verbs that start with P, you’ll also learn how to use them in proper sentences.
It can be tricky to understand kinds of verbs that start with P, but do not worry we’ll guide you at every step. Learning verbs is crucial for any language as it’s impossible not to include them in the discourse. So you better don’t miss out on them!
In this article, we have conveniently divided verbs beginning with P into 8 categories. Every category over here is unique and interesting. We can guarantee that you will have a blast learning these action words that start with P.
That’s enough talking, now let’s move into these amazing categories without wasting any time. Happy Learning!
Common Verbs That Start with P
We are kick-starting our journey with the most basic category which is verbs starting with P used most commonly in our day-to-day conversations. Quite easy and beginner-friendly, right?
- Definition: to put emphasis on something
- Synonyms: emphasize, target
- Example: He pointed out a lot of mistakes in my proposal.
- Definition: to allow
- Synonyms: let, allow
- Example: I cannot permit you to do this.
- Definition: to thrust something forward
- Synonyms: shove, thrust
- Example: Jugga pushed her against the wall.
- Definition: to continue something
- Synonyms: continue, transfer
- Example: I asked her to proceed with her speech.
- Definition: to ask a supernatural entity for something
- Synonyms: invoke, aspire
- Example: She prayed for my safe return every single day.
- Definition: to do something
- Synonyms: achieve, do
- Example: I want to perform well today.
- Definition: to move from one place to another
- Synonyms: go, move
- Example: We passed under the flyover.
- Definition: to not genuinely do something
- Synonyms: bluff, mimic
- Example: She pretended to sleep.
- Definition: to position something
- Synonyms: assign, establish
- Example: Kim places the book on the table.
- Definition: to indulge in an enjoyable activity
- Synonyms: frolic, jest
- Example: He played with his friends in the evening.
Positive Verbs That Start with P
Verbs can be an excellent way to convey positivity. Well, positivity can never be too much for anyone so be generous with using these positive verbs starting with letter P in your interactions.
- Definition: to forgive
- Synonyms: excuse, forgive
- Example: She will never pardon me.
- Definition: to guard something
- Synonyms: safeguard, guard
- Example: This sanitizer claims to protect against germs.
- Definition: to have ownership of something
- Synonyms: hold, inhabit
- Example: I possess a lot of property back home.
- Definition: to laud someone
- Synonyms: commend, appreciate
- Example: My mother praises me every day.
- Definition: to stop
- Synonyms: stop, halt
- Example: This ointment prevents acne.
- Definition: to give guarantee for something
- Synonyms: swear, initiate
- Example: We promised to meet them early.
- Definition: to buy
- Synonyms: get, buy
- Example: I purchased a house.
- Definition: to convince
- Synonyms: coax, stimulate
- Example: She was trying her best to persuade me.
- Definition: to use paint for decorating something
- Synonyms: adorn, tint
- Example: Lilly painted the canvas with light strokes.
- Definition: to level a path with concrete
- Synonyms: cover, layer
- Example: The street was paved recently.
Action Verbs That Start with P
Verbs are especially dope because they denote motion. What’s life without movement? Every day we participate in many actions whether voluntarily or involuntarily, so these action verbs that start with P will help you report them.
- Definition: to stuff something
- Synonyms: stuff, cover
- Example: Can you please pack my lunch?
- Definition: to transfer liquid
- Synonyms: stream, drift
- Example: I poured him a glass of whisky.
- Definition: to insert something somewhere
- Synonyms: seal, cover
- Example: I plugged in my charger.
- Definition: a distinct sound of crash
- Synonyms: bang, detonate
- Example: Millie loves popping the balloons.
- Definition: to march
- Synonyms: assemble, show
- Example: The group paraded towards the castle.
- Definition: to give out something
- Synonyms: give, bid
- Example: We will provide you with excellent opportunities.
- Definition: to select
- Synonyms: collect, choose
- Example: I picked up a spoon and began eating.
- Definition: to discipline someone
- Synonyms: penalize, reprimand
- Example: Maria punished her students.
- Definition: to put pepper in something
- Synonyms: fleck, sprinkle
- Example: I will pepper my egg first.
- Definition: to mimic
- Synonyms: mock, copy
- Example: Kyle parodied everyone.
Regular Verbs That Start with P
You must have heard about regular and irregular verbs in English language. Well there is a simple rule differentiating regular verbs from irregular ones. Regular verbs end with an –ed in the past form. Let’s take a look at regular verbs beginning with P.
- Definition: to breathe quickly
- Synonyms: gasp, rasp
- Example: Liam panted after seeing the lion in front of him.
- Definition: to die
- Synonyms: die, expire
- Example: The vegetables perished in the kitchen.
- Definition: to ban
- Synonyms: forbid, ban
- Example: We have prohibited foul language here.
- Definition: to push someone to do something
- Synonyms: provoke, cause
- Example: His rude behavior prompted my extreme reaction.
- Definition: to take a break
- Synonyms: stop, finish
- Example: She paused for a while and began walking again.
- Definition: to constantly walk
- Synonyms: stride, walk
- Example: She paced after seeing me.
- Definition: to make a copy of something using a printer
- Synonyms: publish, duplicate
- Example: I printed all the documents.
- Definition: to take a brief look at something
- Synonyms: peep, glower
- Example: The kid peeked at us from the window.
- Definition: to be consistent with something
- Synonyms: persevere, endure
- Example: My cough persisted for a week.
- Definition: to drag
- Synonyms: tug, drag
- Example: I pulled the strings and the curtains opened.
Irregular Verbs That Start with P
You got an idea about the usage of regular verbs in the category above, now it’s time to learn some irregular verbs as well! We have used irregular verbs that start with P in relevant examples to clarify their purpose.
- Definition: to verify
- Synonyms: validate, attest
- Example: She has proven the validity of the documents.
- Definition: to attack
- Synonyms: abuse, hit
- Example: The horse was potshot in the head.
- Definition: to chop or make ready in advance
- Synonyms: pre-sliced, die-cut
- Example: Mama precut all the vegetables for my salad.
- Definition: to beg or request
- Synonyms: ask, demand
- Example: They pled for relief but no one listened.
- Definition: to take part in something
- Synonyms: join, include
- Example: My son has partaken in the tournament.
- Definition: to bind together
- Synonyms: bind
- Example: Dana prebound the notes.
- Definition: to give money
- Synonyms: repay, recompense
- Example: I paid all her bills.
- Definition: to set something
- Synonyms: fix, put down
- Example: I put ice cubes in my drink.
- Definition: to construct something in advance
- Synonyms: pre-made, pre-fabricate
- Example: We prebuilt all the furniture.
- Definition: to take notes
- Synonyms: write, compose
- Example: I pent the lyrics of this song myself.
Phrasal Verbs That Start with P
Do you want to take up your language game up a notch? Ain’t no better way than using some phrasal verbs. So read these phrasal verbs that start with P to know how you can utilize them.
1. Pass away
- Definition: to die
- Synonyms: expire, perish
- Example: The old lady passed away peacefully.
2. Pay back
- Definition: to reimburse
- Synonyms: repay, reimburse
- Example: I will lend you 20€ provided you pay me back before the end of the week.
3. Phase in
- Definition: to introduce something gradually
- Synonyms: present, familiarize
- Example: The government decided to phase in the new regulations.
4. Pick on
- Definition: to choose someone to blame, punish, bully, etc.
- Synonyms: bully
- Example: The other children were always picking on Charlie because of his red hair.
5. Pick out
- Definition: to select
- Synonyms: choose, take
- Example: You need to pick out the dress you will be wearing to the party.
6. Pop up
- Definition: to occur
- Synonyms: happen, arise
- Example: The question of security popped up during the meeting.
7. Pull in
- Definition: to move to a designated place at the side of the road
- Synonyms: pull over, stop
- Example: A police car signaled to me to pull in.
8. Put away
- Definition: to return something to the place where it is usually kept
- Synonyms: tidy up, pack away
- Example: Please put away the dictionary when you’ve finished using it.
9. Point out
- Definition: say something to make someone aware of a fact or circumstance
- Synonyms: identify, show
- Example: Sara pointed out that her van had been in the car park all day.
10. Pull through
- Definition: to overcome difficulties
- Synonyms: recover, get better
- Example: My grandmother caught pneumonia last winter but she pulled through.
Transitive Verbs That Start with P
You must be wondering what are transitive verbs. Your confusion is justified as they seem tough to understand but in reality they just have a simple definition. Transitive verbs take up an object to complete their meaning. Check out these transitive verbs that start with P.
- Definition: to forcefully prick
- Synonyms: puncture, prick
- Example: He penetrated the rod in the sack.
- Definition: to realize
- Synonyms: realize, recognize
- Example: We perceived their motives on time.
- Definition: to enter
- Synonyms: pass, enter
- Example: The gases slowly permeated the whole room.
- Definition: to alter negatively
- Synonyms: change, twist
- Example: Excessive use of social media has perverted his mind.
- Definition: to display
- Synonyms: display, update
- Example: We posted the pictures today.
- Definition: to give more importance to something over the other
- Synonyms: select, choose
- Example: I prefer tea over coffee.
- Definition: to write something in your own words
- Synonyms: summarize, rephrase
- Example: I paraphrased the poem in my paper.
- Definition: to hit
- Synonyms: disparage, attack
- Example: The robbers panned the old man.
- Definition: to make fun of somebody
- Synonyms: embarrass, belittle
- Example: My elder brother always patronizes me.
- Definition: to give description
- Synonyms: specify, point
- Example: I particularized the whole document.
Powerful Verbs That Start with P for Impressive Resume
Resume writing seems like daunting task for many! Well, that is completely understandable as it’s the first step towards professional life. We have selected some P verbs that will sparkle up your resume.
- Definition: to aim
- Synonyms: follow, search
- Example: I always pursue my goals.
- Definition: to make something public
- Synonyms: issue, declare
- Example: We will publish your article.
- Definition: to safeguard
- Synonyms: protect, defend
- Example: I will always preserve your reputation.
- Definition: to make a commitment
- Synonyms: vow, swear
- Example: He pledged to work with focus.
- Definition: to design or arrange
- Synonyms: establish, design
- Example: She planned the whole meeting.
- Definition: to plan out
- Synonyms: yield, plan
- Example: I can prepare the slides in no time.
- Definition: to give
- Synonyms: honor, bestow
- Example: My boss presented this shield to me.
- Definition: to make someone relaxed
- Synonyms: mollify, calm
- Example: We are trying our best to pacify his sentiments.
- Definition: to sponsor
- Synonyms: cheer, sponsor
- Example: We promote dignity and moral values.
- Definition: to join up
- Synonyms: involve, contribute
- Example: I participated in the quiz competition arranged by my boss.
Verbs That Start with P – Full List (291 Words)
This is the section where you will find a full list of verbs that start with the letter P. All of the categories have been merged together, so you can easily scroll through them here.
- Pass away
- Pay back
- Phase in
- Pick on
- Pick out
- Pop up
- Pull in
- Put away
- Point out
- Pull through
Final Thoughts on Verbs That Start with P
Thank you for staying with us till the end of this article, we hope the experience was pleasant for you. We will be glad if you learned a thing or two from this compilation as it is our primary goal to clear out your grammatical concepts.
We listed many unique verbs that start with P for you and used them in proper examples so that any possible confusion is eased for our readers. These verbs that start with P will help you improve your English drastically if you make them a part of your daily dealings.
Verbs are extremely important as they make up a huge chunk of our language. Some action words that start with P might have been new for you so that is why it especially important to revise them again and again.
Since we have concluded this article about verb words that start with P, you can see more collections in this series on our website.