Looks like you are in search of verbs that start with R. Well, you have arrived just at the right place at the right time.
Verbs that start with can be commonly observed in the English language. So, we have gathered them up in this detailed list.
You will find a lot of unique verbs that start with R as well as easy ones. You can selectively scroll through different categories or check out the whole list from top to bottom.
You will notice that verbs beginning with R are in fact a very important part of our language. We suggest you to carefully explore each and every verb along with its examples given in each category.
You in for a fun ride! Are you ready to learn some action words that start with R? Then stay with us right until the end!
Common Verbs That Start with R
These verbs starting with R are very simple and you can easily spot them in the English language. We can start from the basics and then slowly move toward complex categories.
- Definition: to go somewhere
- Synonyms: go, come to
- Example: We reached the destination on time.
- Definition: to act as a response
- Synonyms: behave, pawn
- Example: I reacted very calmly to her proposal.
- Definition: rain falls
- Synonyms: pour, rinse
- Example: It is raining outside.
- Definition: to undo something
- Synonyms: detach, undo
- Example: I removed my makeup carefully.
- Definition: to gather crop
- Synonyms: gain, gather
- Example: I saw her reaping the grains.
- Definition: to get an understanding of something
- Synonyms: grasp, understand
- Example: I realized that my wallet is at home.
- Definition: to put energy
- Synonyms: renew, recover
- Example: I recharged the battery.
- Definition: to fix something
- Synonyms: convalesce, improve
- Example: I recovered from Covid 19.
- Definition: to have a competition
- Synonyms: run, compete
- Example: I raced my brother and won.
- Definition: to put in place something
- Synonyms: substitute, swap
- Example: Can I replace the battery?
Positive Verbs That Start with R
Positivity is highly appreciated by everyone, because why not? Everyone needs a boost of optimism in their lives. These positive verbs starting with letter R will provide you with a burst of positivity.
- Definition: to bring something back to original
- Synonyms: reinstate, regenerate
- Example: The vitamin supplement restored my receding hairline.
- Definition: to fix something that is broken
- Synonyms: mend, recondition
- Example: I repaired my watch.
- Definition: to get rest
- Synonyms: rest, relieve
- Example: You need to relax before the big day.
- Definition: to control
- Synonyms: govern, rule
- Example: The Queen reigned for many years.
- Definition: to rebuild something
- Synonyms: redecorate, renew
- Example: Our house is being renovated.
- Definition: to use something again
- Synonyms: recover, reprocess
- Example: I often recycle old stuff.
- Definition: to give reassurance
- Synonyms: reinvigorate, repeat
- Example: I reaffirmed my love to her.
- Definition: to be united again
- Synonyms: join, unite
- Example: She wanted to reunite with her lover.
- Definition: to remodel something
- Synonyms: remodel, rearrange
- Example: The apartment was redesigned.
- Definition: to revive
- Synonyms: renew, reinstate
- Example: The dying monkey was reanimated.
Action Verbs That Start with R
These action verbs that start with R will be your best companions as they are really helpful for conveying an action. So, you should focus on them, and learn them the best way you can!
- Definition: to decrease something
- Synonyms: bring down, lessen
- Example: I reduced the intake of sugar in my diet.
- Definition: to organize something
- Synonyms: organize, change
- Example: He reassembled all the parts of the portable cupboard.
- Definition: to bounce back
- Synonyms: boomerang, recoil
- Example: She lost her balance but rebounded soon enough.
- Definition: to adjust
- Synonyms: reorganize, readjust
- Example: Kiara realigned her blouse buttons.
- Definition: to cook something
- Synonyms: cook, swelter
- Example: I have roasted a chicken.
- Definition: to take control of something
- Synonyms: recover, repeat
- Example: We recaptured the criminal today.
- Definition: to note something down
- Synonyms: register, note
- Example: We recorded the whole speech.
- Definition: to regain or restart something
- Synonyms: restart, restore
- Example: I have rebooted the computer.
- Definition: to destroy
- Synonyms: devastate, ruin
- Example: The bedsheet was ravaged with paints.
- Definition: to renovate
- Synonyms: recondition, recommence
- Example: My room will be refurbished.
Regular Verbs That Start with R
We have compiled some regular verbs beginning with R in this category. You can see their definitions along with examples and you’ll notice that they always end with –ed. Well, that’s exactly how you spot regular verbs!
- Definition: to repeatedly practice something
- Synonyms: prepare, repeat
- Example: The band rehearsed all night.
- Definition: to hate someone with intensity
- Synonyms: grudge, loathe
- Example: I resented her for being superficial.
- Definition: to move or transfer
- Synonyms: cash, transfer
- Example: Archana redeemed her rewards.
- Definition: to sort out a conflict
- Synonyms: reunite, transfer
- Example: Jack reconciled with me after the fight.
- Definition: to forcefully enter
- Synonyms: assault, enter
- Example: Police raided the garage last night.
- Definition: to remember something
- Synonyms: remember, recollect
- Example: I recalled all the good times we spent together.
- Definition: to appear or arrive again
- Synonyms: repeat, arrive
- Example: The nasty bumps on my body have reappeared again.
- Definition: to be a copy of something
- Synonyms: mirror, replicate
- Example: She resembled her mother as a child but has changed now.
- Definition: to make clattering sounds
- Synonyms: clatter, crash
- Example: The glass door rattled as the thunder struck.
- Definition: to rethink
- Synonyms: rethink, revise
- Example: After seeing her demonstration I reconsidered recruiting her.
Irregular Verbs That Start with R
After learning regular verbs you’re now about to confront some irregular verbs that start with R. These verbs end differently than the regular ones and that’s exactly how you differentiate them.
- Definition: to call someone
- Synonyms: call, phone
- Example: I rang him twice on the phone.
- Definition: to study
- Synonyms: speak, narrate
- Example: Sara read the assignment and marked it with A grade.
- Definition: to free a person or place of something unwanted or harmful
- Synonyms: free, remove
- Example: The new vaccine rid the world of one of its most terrifying diseases.
- Definition: to drive something
- Synonyms: drive, jaunt
- Example: Katty rode the bike to market.
- Definition: to draw again
- Synonyms: revise, redraft
- Example: Anna redrew the portrait.
- Definition: to move fast
- Synonyms: sprint, rush
- Example: The kids ran towards me.
- Definition: to move in an upward direction
- Synonyms: stand up, get up
- Example: He rose up and fell again.
- Definition: to change
- Synonyms: alter, transform
- Example: My mother recast her vote.
- Definition: to change
- Synonyms: retune, readjust
- Example: He reset the temperature of the A.C.
- Definition: to construct again
- Synonyms: reconstruct, recondition
- Example: The mansion was rebuilt by the government.
Phrasal Verbs That Start with R
Phrasal verbs are extremely cool! They make your language pop up like nothing else. You definitely need to learn these ten phrasal verbs that start with R if you want to level up your English!
1. Rake up
- Definition: to recall unpleasant memories
- Synonyms: allude to, dig up
- Example: She’s constantly raking up old quarrels.
2. Ramp up
- Definition: to increase the quantity
- Synonyms: boost, amplify
- Example: The company ramped up production to meet the demand.
3. Run across
- Definition: to run to the other side of something
- Synonyms: run, go
- Example: The pickpocket ran across the road and jumped onto a bus.
4. Rely on
- Definition: to count on or depend on
- Synonyms: depend, trust
- Example: You can rely on me.
5. Rig out
- Definition: to dress or equip
- Synonyms: dress, prepare
- Example: The old lady rigged out in her best clothes.
6. Ring back
- Definition: to return a phone call
- Synonyms: reach out, call-back
- Example: John rang this morning and asked if you could ring him back.
7. Rub out
- Definition: to erase
- Synonyms: remove, eradicate
- Example: Write it in pencil so that you can rub it out later if you want to change it.
8. Rule out
- Definition: to eliminate
- Synonyms: exclude, remove
- Example: The police are still investigating but they have ruled out political motives.
9. Run away
- Definition: to escape from a place or suddenly leave
- Synonyms: exit, flee
- Example: He ran away from home at the age of fourteen
10. Reel off
- Definition: to recite without an effort or pause
- Synonyms: enumerate, recite
- Example: Stella amazed everyone by reeling off all the phrasal verbs she had learned.
Transitive Verbs That Start with R
Transitive verbs, sound fancy and intimidating? No need! They are very simple; all you need to remember is that they need an object to make sense. So here are some transitive verbs that start with R.
- Definition: to discard something
- Synonyms: dismiss, abandon
- Example: I rejected his proposal.
- Definition: to redo
- Synonyms: review, analyze
- Example: I recapped the previous lecture in the class.
- Definition: to identify someone or something
- Synonyms: identify, analyze
- Example: We were asked to recognize the suspect.
- Definition: to gather a memory
- Synonyms: recollect, summon up
- Example: She was unable to recollect events of fifteen years ago.
- Definition: to give out something
- Synonyms: exude, release
- Example: She was radiating happiness.
- Definition: to increase
- Synonyms: lift, uplift
- Example: I will raise your pay.
- Definition: to destruct or destroy something
- Synonyms: abolish, decay
- Example: I ruined my makeup by jumping in the pool.
- Definition: to give value to something
- Synonyms: assess, appraise
- Example: She rated the rider.
- Definition: to give pain
- Synonyms: plague, torture
- Example: I racked my body by overworking this week.
- Definition: to cleanse or wash something
- Synonyms: blanch, cleanse
- Example: She was rinsing the dishes in the kitchen.
Powerful Verbs That Start with R for Impressive Resume
You must have heard that the first impression is the last impression. In your professional life, a resume is the first impression. You need to make sure that it’s perfect. So, these R verbs will do the magic for you!
- Definition: to improve
- Synonyms: clean, cleanse
- Example: I will try to refine my vocabulary.
- Definition: to give comfort to someone
- Synonyms: inspire, hearten
- Example: She can reassure me by signing the contract.
- Definition: to logically explain something
- Synonyms: guard, justify
- Example: I rationalized the argument that I made.
- Definition: to refine something
- Synonyms: confirm, approve
- Example: We need to ratify women rights in the country.
- Definition: to revise
- Synonyms: recap, reiterate
- Example: Kindly recapitulate the points for me.
- Definition: to give logic
- Synonyms: judge, remove
- Example: She tried to reason with me but failed.
- Definition: to suggest
- Synonyms: advocate, endorse
- Example: Can you recommend me some books?
- Definition: to give a reference
- Synonyms: mention, signify
- Example: Jim can refer you to a good company.
- Definition: to unify
- Synonyms: combine, unite
- Example: They reconsolidated the whole family.
- Definition: to hire
- Synonyms: enlist, join
- Example: I can recruit her for this job.
Verbs That Start with R – Full List (337 Words)
In the end, we have eased up everything for you by making a complete list of verbs that start with the letter R. You can check them again to make sure you didn’t miss out on anything!
- Rake up
- Ramp up
- Run across
- Rely on
- Rig out
- Ring back
- Rub out
- Rule out
- Run away
- Reel off
Final Thoughts on Verbs That Start with R
We have now arrived at the end of this article on verbs that start with R. Verbs that start with R are easy to learn because they are not that rare. We really hope that you had fun exploring them with us.
We tried our level-best trying to simplify these action words that start with R for you but still if you have any confusion understanding them, you can let us know and we’ll respond to you. If you feel like we lacked anywhere, you can give your constructive suggestions too.
If you liked this collection of verb words that start with R, you will find many other such lists on our website. We strongly recommend you to check them out! Good-bye till we see you again with yet another fun list!