Verbs that start with S are unique in that many of them are also employed as nouns, but in this catalogue, we will only talk about and discuss verbs beginning with S.
A competent writer has the ability to transform his own ideas into magnificent sentences using words. Verbs beginning with S perform the same function.
Speakers also select their words carefully while addressing a crowd because they understand that words create an indelible impact.
Verbs that start with S are a useful tool for creatively conveying the beauty of the world or humanity.
A list of action words that start with S will assist you in painting a mental image in the minds of your readers, and a few of good words may lead you in unthinkable places, who knows? I can’t wait for you to put this list of verbs to use and make the most of it.
Common Verbs That Start with S
As you already know, verbs are action words, so this category discusses common verbs starting with S. Let’s go down the list and learn the top ten common S verbs.
- Definition: to use sea passage for travelling
- Synonyms: navigate, ship
- Example: The boat sailed at a fast pace.
- Definition: to get a whiff
- Synonyms: trace, whiff
- Example: I smell something burning.
- Definition: to make someone afraid
- Synonyms: fright, alarm
- Example: Sudden thunder scared her.
- Definition: to make a high-pitched shriek
- Synonyms: cry, yell
- Example: Why are you screaming at me?
- Definition: to break away
- Synonyms: divide, break
- Example: We separated the boxes.
- Definition: to word
- Synonyms: utter, articulate
- Example: I want to say something.
- Definition: to appear likely
- Synonyms: appear, act
- Example: It seems like a good offer.
- Definition: to make a crashing sound
- Synonyms: roar, crash
- Example: I heard him shouting at the top of his lungs.
- Definition: to shake things
- Synonyms: shudder, quiver
- Example: She was shivering with cold.
- Definition: to slide along
- Synonyms: drift, skim
- Example: Lizzy was skating on the road.
Positive Verbs That Start with S
Moving forward, we are heading toward positive verbs starting with letter S. Positive verbs are used for conveying a positive message. And this marks their importance in our lives.
- Definition: to give a happy expression
- Synonyms: smirk, beam
- Example: He smiled at me with love in his eyes.
- Definition: to take part in social interacts
- Synonyms: cooperate, mingle
- Example: She socialized with the whole town.
- Definition: to feel someone’s pain
- Synonyms: empathize, support
- Example: Laila sympathizes with the poor.
- Definition: to buy something
- Synonyms: buy, purchase
- Example: You need to shop for winter clothes.
- Definition: to hug
- Synonyms: nestle, settle
- Example: I want to snuggle you.
- Definition: to give comfort
- Synonyms: gratify, comfort
- Example: The dispute was settled by an agreement that satisfied both sides.
- Definition: to gratify
- Synonyms: fill, satisfy
- Example: I was satiated after the brunch I had.
- Definition: to glow
- Synonyms: luster, gleam
- Example: The sleek boat seemed to scintillate with a dark blue light.
- Definition: to harmonize
- Synonyms: contemporize, compose
- Example: I feel like our thoughts are being synchronized.
- Definition: to make something sweet
- Synonyms: sugar, sugarcoat
- Example: Can you sweeten my coffee a little?
Action Verbs That Start with S
Let us introduce you to this category of action verbs that start with S which has been specifically chosen just for you. Without verbs, communication, reading, and writing are all impossible.
- Definition: to mold
- Synonyms: form, style
- Example: Kim shaped the wet clay.
- Definition: to remove with a sharp surface
- Synonyms: trim, barber
- Example: I have started shaving my beard now.
- Definition: to remove by dragging
- Synonyms: remove, eradicate
- Example: The paint was scrapped off the building.
- Definition: to discover
- Synonyms: chase, look
- Example: The security scavenged through our luggage.
- Definition: to cleanse
- Synonyms: clean, sort out
- Example: Yolanda spruced the apartment and I cooked.
- Definition: to change
- Synonyms: move, handover
- Example: I shifted my address.
- Definition: to look for something
- Synonyms: pursue, explore
- Example: We searched the woods for a prey.
- Definition: to walk properly
- Synonyms: walk, parade
- Example: We saw students strutting in straight lines.
- Definition: to clean up
- Synonyms: produce, unify
- Example: I need to synthesize the scalpel.
- Definition: to wash up
- Synonyms: rinse, wash
- Example: She is showering upstairs.
Regular Verbs That Start with S
Regular verbs play a significant role in the English language, and fortunately, they are not too difficult to learn. Without further ado, let’s begin with these regular verbs beginning with S.
- Definition: to give a solution
- Synonyms: decide, conclude
- Example: They settled the conflict.
- Definition: to burn
- Synonyms: scald, singe
- Example: She touched the flame and scorched her finger.
- Definition: to sexualize
- Synonyms: demean, debauch
- Example: They sensualized women in their talks.
- Definition: to burn
- Synonyms: char, sear
- Example: I scalded my fingers.
- Definition: to take something back
- Synonyms: break away, leave
- Example: He seceded from the conference at the last moment.
- Definition: to dig deep
- Synonyms: expose, spade
- Example: She shoveled the ground to plant a tree.
- Definition: to radiate
- Synonyms: glow, glitter
- Example: The glitter bits sparked from a distance.
- Definition: to fly high
- Synonyms: heighten, ascend
- Example: The helicopter soared in the sky.
- Definition: to destruct
- Synonyms: wreck, destroy
- Example: The Airforce sabotaged the enemy.
- Definition: to save
- Synonyms: save, mend
- Example: She was salvaged by the old man’s kindness.
Irregular Verbs That Start with S
Irregular verbs are totally different from regular verbs. They have different 2nd and 3rd forms and this makes them unique. Here are some irregular verbs that start with S.
- Definition: to give away something at a price
- Synonyms: retail, vend
- Example: My books were sold by her.
- Definition: to place something in a fixed spot
- Synonyms: place, position
- Example: Gina set the table and called everyone.
- Definition: to give away
- Synonyms: report, address
- Example: I have sent someone to fetch her.
- Definition: to utter something in a melodious tone
- Synonyms: recite, intone
- Example: She sang me a song.
- Definition: to use
- Synonyms: pay, disburse
- Example He spent quite a lot of money on us.
- Definition: to have a look at something
- Synonyms: observe, perceive
- Example: I have seen you somewhere.
- Definition: to go down
- Synonyms: descend, fall
- Example: The ship sank.
- Definition: to explore places
- Synonyms: visit, discover
- Example: They sightsaw some places.
- Definition: to utter
- Synonyms: express, declare
- Example: They spoke to the magistrate yesterday.
- Definition: to decrease
- Synonyms: diminish, lessen
- Example: The cloth shrunk in size after a wash.
Phrasal Verbs That Start with S
The use of phrasal verbs makes you sound cool and literate. But they serve a totally different meaning than the individual verb, and for their correct usage, we have to learn about them first. So, let’s have a look at phrasal verbs that start with S.
1. Scale down
- Definition: to make something smaller than originally intended
- Synonyms: cut back, reduce
- Example: Due to the crisis the company had to scale down the size of the plant.
2. Scrape together
- Definition: to manage to find or collect enough of something you need, usually money
- Synonyms: collect, amass
- Example: We finally scraped together enough money to buy an old car.
3. Set off
- Definition: to start a journey
- Synonyms: start out, set out
- Example: Early Saturday morning we set off for the ski slopes.
4. Settle for
- Definition: to accept something not quite satisfactory
- Synonyms: agree to, accept
- Example: I was hoping for a better proposal but I’ll settle for the amount you offer.
5. Shop around
- Definition: to compare prices
- Synonyms: choose, decide on
- Example: It’s always wise to shop around before buying anything.
6. Show off
- Definition: to brag or want to be admired
- Synonyms: brag, boast
- Example: There’s Donald showing off in his new sports car!
7. Shut up
- Definition: to limit
- Synonyms: confine, imprison
- Example: Shut up your mouth!
8. Sign in
- Definition: to register
- Synonyms: login, enter
- Example: As soon as we’ve signed in, we’ll go and get something to eat.
9. Single out
- Definition: to select for special attention
- Synonyms: pick out, choose
- Example: Two of the boys were singled out for extra coaching.
10. Sink in
- Definition: to be fully understood
- Synonyms: go in, enter
- Example: In spite of the detailed news reports, it took a while for the scale of the disaster to sink in.
Transitive Verbs That Start with S
A verb that needs an object to perform the action is referred to as a transitive verb. We have given you a list of transitive verbs that start with S. We have also provided you with examples so focus on the usage of such verbs.
- Definition: to protect someone
- Synonyms: protect, extricate
- Example: I saved my sister from falling to the ground.
- Definition: to soothe or calm
- Synonyms: reduce, alleviate
- Example: Your kind words salved my heart.
- Definition: to save up
- Synonyms: cut back, skimp
- Example: We scrimped money for the renovations.
- Definition: to supply something
- Synonyms: aid, support
- Example: She served us some tea.
- Definition: to raise shoulders depicting carelessness
- Synonyms: signal, wave
- Example: I shrugged my shoulders at her question.
- Definition: to divide
- Synonyms: divide, split
- Example: I shared my lunch with Martha.
- Definition: to mock
- Synonyms: pretend, mock
- Example: She makes dollars satirizing famous people on YouTube.
- Definition: to oversee an event
- Synonyms: control, oversee
- Example: He stewarded the party.
- Definition: to control
- Synonyms: clutch, grasp
- Example: The police seized his weapons.
- Definition: to layer up
- Synonyms: dye, mark
- Example: She playfully smeared paint on my face.
Powerful Verbs That Start with S for Impressive Resume
Would you like your resume to get noticed among those of others? Don’t worry and check out this section. Here are some strong S verbs to use while creating an attractive resume.
- Definition: to achieve excellence at something
- Synonyms: excel, outdo
- Example: Lilly shined at the contest.
- Definition: to get livened up
- Synonyms: boost, revitalize
- Example: I am stimulated by positive reinforcement.
- Definition: to pass beyond something
- Synonyms: outclass, transcend
- Example: I have surpassed high qualifications in my field.
- Definition: to closely examine
- Synonyms: review, inspect
- Example: You can scrutinize my degrees.
- Definition: to gain something
- Synonyms: catch, win
- Example: I always scored well in exams.
- Definition: to excel
- Synonyms: enumerate, master
- Example: I have specialized in holistic medicine.
- Definition: to opt for something
- Synonyms: choose, prefer
- Example: We can select the best career for you.
- Definition: to keep something maintained
- Synonyms: endure, keep up
- Example: Despite all the challenges I sustained my performance.
- Definition: to positively change something
- Synonyms: improve, transform
- Example: I can sophisticate my introduction by using good vocabulary.
- Definition: to improve something
- Synonyms: arrange, normalize
- Example: She standardized her experience in the field.
Verbs That Start with S – Full List (275 Words)
The list of verbs that start with the letter S is now complete. We sincerely hope that you enjoyed it and discovered some interesting new verbs.
- Scale down
- Scrape together
- Set off
- Settle for
- Shop around
- Show off
- Shut up
- Sign in
- Single out
- Sink in
Final Thoughts on Verbs That Start with S
Thank you for sticking with us to the very end. We’d love to know whether you’ve memorized these verbs that start with S. We constantly strive to make learning enjoyable and pleasant for our readers.
Verbs that start with S are very common in the English language, thus mastering them may significantly expand your vocabulary.
You now have a plethora of words to use when labelling actions or requesting others to assist you. These action words that start with S will also refine your narrations by beautifying your writing.
Practice these verb words that start with S a lot if you want to be good at them! If you found this post useful, you might find more useful information on our website!